If you are considering joining the LGPS please contact your employer's Payroll Section or Human Resource department to find out if you qualify to join.
The LGPS covers Local Government and other organisations that have chosen to participate in it. It is a national scheme whose rules apply throughout England and Wales, broken down into regional Funds so it is administered at a more local level. The administration of the LGPS in this area is carried out by South Tyneside Council and the Fund is called the Tyne and Wear Pension Fund.
The LGPS allows members to save while they are working in order to enjoy a pension once they retire. It is one of the best occupational pension schemes in the UK. What's more, the LGPS is provided by employers who meet a large part of the cost of providing the excellent range of secure benefits, so it's an extremely valuable and important part of a member's employment package.
Employers are required by law to enrol certain types of workers into a workplace pension scheme if they are not already in one. This is called 'auto-enrolment'.
Workers can opt out if they wish to, see opting in / out and auto enrolment.
The LGPS provides a guaranteed package of benefits which are backed by law including:
- a secure pension - payable for life that increases with the cost of living
- tax free cash - the option to exchange part of your pension for a tax-free lump sum at retirement
- voluntary early retirement - from age 55 (even though the scheme's normal pension age is the same as your State pension age but with a minimum of age 65). Benefits drawn before normal pension age may be reduced for early payment
- ill-health cover - if you have to retire due to illness you could receive immediate benefits which may be based on an enhanced period of scheme membership
- redundancy cover - with the early payment of pension benefits if you are made redundant or retired on business efficiency grounds at 55 or over
- life cover - with a lump sum of three times your final pay if you die in service
- cover for my family upon my death - including a survivor's pension for your husband, wife, civil partner or nominated cohabiting partner as well as children's pensions
LGPS help videos
The 'Pensions Made Simple' videos on the LGPS member website give further information about LGPS and are available to view at LGPS: Videos - Pensions Made Simple.
There are seven videos in total with English and Welsh versions available for all.